- Open the computer to write a post
- Think for a second that it would be nice to test Firefox 2.0
- Go for the easiest path and use Safari
- Spend half an hour preparing the post, checking pages for quotes and links
- Preview the post
- Check something in the previous tab
- Click just a few pixels too far on the left, close the "Preview Post" tab!
- Curse out loud
- Check the cache files for Safari to no avail
- Remember that Firefox 2.0 has the ability to reopen closed tabs
- Verify that it wouldn't have made any difference (it doesn't remember the state of the page/form payload, just its URL)
- Curse Movable Type for its stupid way of handling post preview: i.e. it doesn't save anything and it doesn't warn you that you're going to lose data when you attempt to close the window/tab (like it does when you're in Edit mode)
I want a TRUE undo when closing ONE tab or a window in web browsers. Firefox 2.0 doesn't offer a true one, and the UI is not intuitive (I want it in the Edit/Undo menu or cmd-Z as it should be, not lost under a secondary sub-menu in History). Safari doesn't even remember the tab at all.
Meanwhile, oh lazy web I have a request for thee! A plugin that shows a warning when "you fool are trying to close a tab with a FORM and plenty of unsaved data in it". Please :-).